Thursday, December 31, 2009
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Why are Filipinos
Why are Filipinos poor? got 8.8M results
Why are Filipinos ugly? got only 176,000 results
Why are Filipinos short? got 11.7M results while "Why are Filipinos so short?" got 810,000 results
Why are Filipinos lazy? got half a million search results
Why are Filipinos worth dying for? got only 82,100
But the good news?
Why are Filipinos happy? got the highest results with 13.7M
High Chair and the Maguindanao Massacre
Call for submissions for the second installment of High Chair 12
How could poetry be written/art be made so that it has value to the Maguindanao Massacre?
Or, if art is an inadequate response—offering no sufficient answers, effecting no significant change, if not trivializing horror in the service of aesthetic exercise—is no response the only generous response? Should art even be asked for a reply?
We are inviting poets and artists everywhere to submit responses to these questions and/or the responses published in the first installment. We are interested in poems (whether old or new, unpublished or previously published) that offer ways of thinking about terror, horror, and other pertinent ideas/terms. We are interested in essays and reviews that examine the role and state of Philippine poetry and art in the context of the Maguindanao Massacre.
We recognize the need to engage with the Maguindanao Massacre and to ensure, through an ongoing discussion, that the event remains current and urgent. Thus, High Chair 12 is a work in progress, with content uploaded by installment, from mid-December to mid-February. The deadlines for submission for possible inclusion in the next three installments of High Chair 12 are December 31, 2009, January 15, 2010, and January 30, 2010.
We welcome submissions in Filipino and English. Please send no more than five pages of poetry. There is no page limit for essay contributions. Email your submissions or queries to email@example.com (subject heading: High Chair Issue 12).
Feel free to circulate this call for submissions to other interested parties. Thank you.
Conchitina Cruz and Adam David (Issue Editors)
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
The Word for Today is Parnel
Monday, December 21, 2009
Brain on the Sistine?
The Top Viral Videos of 2009
Full list of featured videos below:
1. This Guy Is Basically The Best Guy, May 8
2. You Are On Cocaine, February 18
3. That's Your Boyfriend: California Raisin Face Paint Guy, October 13
4. That's Your Girlfriend: Cat Massage Lady, August 18
5. Mark Gormley, "Little Wings," January 13
6. Alright, Jeez, Kittens Inspired By Kittens (Scream), February 12
7. The 10th Annual Gathering Of The Juggalos Infomercial, July 22
8. A Brave California Woman Solves All The Problems, July 24
9. I Call Dibs On Adopting This Kid, February 19
10. Keenan The Lip Syncing Kid Shows Up Live On Chicago Weather Show, March 19
11. Leon's Boss Plays Him Like A Punk, July 13
12. Pro-Tip: Newscasters, Use Your "Fucks" Wisely, September 17
13. Costume Shop Lady Hijacks Local News Interview (Must Watch), April 9
14. Bangs "Take U To Da Movies," October 26
--14a. Kids Humiliate You On The Dance Floor The Darndest Things, July 10
--14b. In Defense Of Spring Break Mom, March 17
--14c. That's Your Boyfriend: Nosferatu Dances To Lady Gaga, May 20
--14d. Rangersss Get Superr Duperr Jerk, September 3
--14e. The Very Best Pumpkin Head Halloween Dance Of All Time In The World, October 29
15. Forgotten Assholes Of History: The "Your Business Card Is Crap" Guy, April 9
16. David After Dentist, February 3
17. Keyboard Cat, 2009
After "Pasko Na Sinta Ko," Here's Other Christmas Songs to Make You Cry
Boing Boing's 100-Word Fiction Contest
By Thought Grime:
We'll go no more a-roving, the immortal words of Byron,
the tattered moon is out of bounds since they brought back the pylon.
Loudly, since the probe returned, the scientists implored,
Daedelus offered secrets that could never be ignored.
Eight months they argued who was best to undertake the study,
to clean the wretched thing because it was so freakin' cruddy.
Finally they started to remove the dense, moon-sand,
excruciatingly because they cleaned it all by hand.
At last the pylon stood revealing secrets from afar,
all Earth was still as they were read, the English words; "We Are".
The rest of the finalists here