Thursday, February 28, 2008

I Didn't Say It, But If It's Good for My Reputation...

From Fortean Times:

“Let them eat cake” was being attributed to various out-of-touch fat cats long before Marie Antoinette was born.

“That government is best which governs least” wasn’t Thomas Jefferson’s; nor even Thoreau’s, presumably, since the latter used it in quotation marks.

Patrick Henry didn’t say “Give me liberty or give me death,” nor did James Otis coin “Taxation without representation is tyranny.”

Hermann Goering was not responsible for “Whenever I hear the word culture, I reach for my gun,” which excellent line comes from a 1933 play by Hanns Johst.

Edmund Burke’s “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing” was voted the world’s favourite quotation in 2004 – but has never been found in Burke’s writing, and is unrecorded before 1968.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!
Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Since March 2007
Carp Fishing
site statistics
visited 14 states (6.22%)
Create your own visited map of The World or jurisdische veraling duits?