Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Etymology of Pokpok

Type "pokpok" and "slut" and you get something like 870 entries, mostly from friendster and its ilk. The most popular reference is "pokpok xa" and "pokpok (slut)." I even remembered Choy telling me about Edel Garcellano telling some people in PCED, "Hoo, anong liberal feminist? Naku, mga pokpok lang kunwari empowered feminists na. " Pokpok is old. In fact, the gay word, "Pocahontas" was derived from "pokpok." I remembered somebody telling me about a small restaurant in Portland named "Pok Pok." She said that the Papaya Pok Pok is worth dying for. Hmm. Finally a pokpok worth dying for. Anyway, I think I knew where "pokpok" came from. Martin M texted me this classic quote from the immortal Rita Gomez in the movie "Salawahan." She won Best Supporting Actress for that 1979 movie that was directed by Ish Bernal starring Rio Locsin and Jay Ilagan. I think Rene Requiestas and Cherie Gil were also in that movie. But I have to agree with Martin that this quote will linger, especially for Session Road nostalgics:

Gusto kong bumili ng balloons sa Session Road at papuputukin. Pok! Pok! Pok! Gusto kong tumakbo na nakahubad na ngiti lang ang suot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Submit your website to 20 Search Engines - FREE with ineedhits!
Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Since March 2007
Carp Fishing
site statistics
visited 14 states (6.22%)
Create your own visited map of The World or jurisdische veraling duits?